Are Your Beauty Products Aging Your Skin and Making You Sick?
Even though the brand you use has words like “all natural” and “organic” on their bottle, the product can be loaded with chemicals, parabens, phthalates, nitrosamines, lead, and other harmful ingredients that are absorbed into your body.Many of the chemicals in our beauty products have an effect on our hormones, upsetting their natural balance and in turn having a domino effect on our overall health.
Below are some of my favorite beauty products that are chemical free or nearly chemical free:
Note: the best place I know to get a large line of make-up, and the above products is Dad’s Organic Market in Saskatoon.
Thorne Beauty Products – Organic, estrogenic-free and gluten free soaps, shampoos, lip balm, shower gels, lotions, etc. are now available at the Better Living Centre.
IF LOOKS COULD KILL!
Dangers of modern cosmetic makeup products
The dangers of modern cosmetic and makeup products is real and puts new meaning into “If looks could kill” Her typical day might be …
and under the steady stream of water, gently scrubs her body with a deodorant soap.
and washes her freshly tinted hair. Scoops up a palm full of hair conditioner and applies it to her hair to smooth out the tangles.
and removes the growth of hair from her legs. The shower finished, she towel dries and spreads on an even coat of body lotion and a dusting of powder over her skin.
and gargles with mouthwash—blow dries her hair then spritzes with hairspray.
she carefully applies a smidgen of moisturizer over her face to reduce the fine lines. Today, she’ll wear foundation and a little blush. Oh yes, better add some eye shadow for today’s special meeting and a little eye liner and a stroke of mascara.
a blast of perfume and a little sunscreen on her arms and neck and she is set for the day.
She looks radiant and healthy but…her looks are killing her
Let’s take a look at what this woman’s particular brands of cosmetic and makeup products have exposed her to in a matter of minutes.
- The deodorant soap has a pH of 9, which removes the protective acid mantle of the skin making it more alkaline and therefore, more vulnerable to penetration. It also contains ammonia, formaldehyde and phenol, which are known carcinogens and triclocarban, which is under suspicion of being a cancer causing agent with daily use.
- Her shampoo contains cocamide DEA, which is associated with carcinogenic nitrosamines and sodium lauryl sulfate, a known mutagen.
- The hair tint contains quaternium-15, which releases carcinogenic formaldehyde and the carcinogen, phenylenediamine.
- The conditioner contains methylisothiaolinone, an ingredient that is mutagenic and is presently being evaluated as cancer-causing.
- The shaving cream contains a-pinene, a chemical that damages the immune system.
- Her body lotion contains mineral oil, which, as a cosmetic grade petroleum product, includes the contaminant polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PHAs) known as xenoestrogens that can mimic estrogen in the body.
- The dusting powder contains talc, a substance like asbestos. When talc was combined with a common air pollutant, benzo(a)pyrene, it induced tumors in 80% of the animals tested.
- The toothpaste contains saccharin and FD&C Blue#1, which are carcinogens. It also contains resorcinol, which can cause a blood disorder (methemoglobinemia), convulsions and death.
- The mouthwash contains 27% ethanol, which is suspected of causing esophageal cancer. It also contains phenol, which can cause fatal poisonings through skin absorption.
- The hairspray contains polyvinylpyrrolidine (PVP) and reports show that it may cause harm if the particles are inhaled. Modest intravenous doses fed to rats caused tumors.
- The moisturizer contains phenol carbolic acid, which can cause circulatory collapse, paralysis, convulsions, coma and death as a result of respiratory failure. It also contains PEG-40, which contains dangerous levels of dioxin and propylene glycol, which studies show can negatively alter brain waves and cause liver and kidney disorders.
- Her blush contains FD&C Red #3, which caused human breast cells to grow, mimics the effect of natural estrogen at the molecular level and damages the genetic material of human breast cells.
- The eyeshadow contains iron oxide, which although deemed safe by the FDA for use in the eye area, is a suspected carcinogen, teratogen or toxin. The eyeliner, contains ascorbyl palmitate, and studies suggest that the palmitates are to be considered carcinogenic, mutagenic, or toxic.
- The mascara may be contaminated with bacteria. Is also contains polyvinylpyrrolide (PVP), a carcinogen.
- The lipstick contains paraffin, which is a mixture of hydrocarbons and is derived from petroleum. It is known to be contaminated with the carcinogens, benzo-a-pyrene and benzo-b-fluroanthene.
- The perfume contains toluene, a suspected potent carcinogen that was found in every fragrance tested, and benzaldehyde, which is a central nervous system depressant that may cause kidney damage.
- The sunscreen contains padimate O and the preservative, BNPD, which together create the carcinogenic nitrosamine, NMPABAO.
This article raises valid concerns on the chemicals found in every day articles. The concern should not stop there as our foods are subject to a vast array of pesticides, genetic engineering and chemical additives.